Happy Mushroom Monday!
Want a healthy pasta that’s delicious and comes together in less than 30 minutes? Look no further! This pasta recipe comes with no guilt because it’s loaded with veggies. This dish is perfect for busy nights where you have little time to cook but don’t want take-out or resort to pre-packaged frozen. Homemade that comes together in a snap--woo hoo!
For this recipe, I used dried tortellini but you can substitute your favorite brand or even make it homemade (though it wouldn’t be as quick but it would be delicious!) To make it a quick meal, I used a jar marinara sauce. Typical jar sauces add a lot of sugar and salt so you’ll want to look for a no salt added variety and grab the lowest sugar content available. This helps to keep it healthy AND convenient.
What makes this dish so healthy? Spinach has a high nutritional value and is rich in antioxidants. It's a good, very good or excellent source of more than 20 different measurable nutrients, including fiber, calcium and protein. Plus, it’s low calorie. High density of nutrition with low calories, win win!
Mushrooms are great sources of Niacin which makes sure digestive and nervous systems function as they should. Mushrooms also have 3x more vitamin D than fortified dairy milk! Plus, don’t forget they are low in calories, cholesterol free, and gluten free.
Let’s get started on this quick weeknight meal!
Tortellini with Veggie Sauce
- 12 ounces tortellini of choice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 8 ounces baby bella mushroom (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh chopped spinach
- 24 ounces no-salt marinara sauce
- Cook tortellini according to package directions. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, add oil and sauté zucchini for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Set aside.
- In same skillet, add in mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 8 minutes or until browned and tender.
- Add cooked vegetables, chopped spinach, and marinara to tortellini. Gently fold in to combine. Heat on low until warmed.
Next time you need a quick meal night recipe, try this one out! Let me know what you and your family think by commenting below, I love hearing from you <3
With Health and Happiness,