Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week’s mushroom recipe is completely plant based, gluten free, and FULL of veggies! “Vegetable Fritters” is basically a fancy way of saying veggie burgers. Unlike most veggie burgers I’ve tried, these stay together nicely and don’t fall apart at all. That’s why these are great just on their own, but they would be delicious on a bun with all the burger fixins’ too!
Zucchinis are a favorite Summer produce ingredient in our house! They are versatile to use in recipes and super nutrient dense. They contain high amounts of vitamin C, copper, manganese, magnesium, fiber and a variety of B vitamins all while being low in calories. They also have a high water content which is normally awesome but for this particular recipe draining the shredded zucchini is a must! A tip in buying zucchini is to make sure the skin is sleek, bright colored, smooth and firm with few blemishes. I recommend buying them only a day or two before cooking to make sure they are fresh!
Your family will love these tasty fritters and you’ll be happy to serve them knowing they are full of delicious veggies! And as a bonus, this recipe can easily be doubled to freeze half for a quick meal (just freeze prepared patties and thaw in the fridge before heating on the skillet!) Let’s get started!
Makes 8 fritters
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup finely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Side of choice (rice, quinoa, homemade fries are all great options!)
- Place shredded zucchini in a fine mesh strainer. Press until most of the liquid is strained out. Discard liquid.
- In a large bowl combine drained zucchini, shredded carrot, diced mushrooms, cornmeal, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast, and cornstarch. Mix until combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup of the fritter mixture, make 8 equal size fritter patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add oil and place fritter patties on pan. Without flipping, cook for 5-7 minutes. Then flip once to cook the other side for 5-7 minutes. Do this until all the fritters are golden brown.
- Serve warm with side of choice.
Serve this with your favorite side, add a bun with fixing to make it into a burger, or shape into a meatball! This recipe is versatile and so delicious! Let me know what you think after you try the recipe, I love hearing from you! <3
With Health and Happiness,