Vegan Loaded Baked Potato
Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week’s “bacon” recipe uses delicious and healthy mushroom bacon to jazz up a go-to classic! This version of the loaded baked potato is healthier, even more delicious, and completely meat and dairy free! You’ll love this as a lunch or dinner option that’s easy enough for even the busiest nights.
I love this recipe not only because it comes together in less than 30 minutes, but it’s even more delicious than the classic favorite! This recipe uses roasted broccoli which brings out a nutty flavor that will make a broccoli lover out of anyone! It’s a favorite in my house and is loved by oldest who doesn’t like broccoli very much at all.
Paired with the roasted broccoli is a delicious non-dairy cheese sauce that is the perfect, creamy compliment to this loaded potato. This sauce is a cheesy compliment without the dairy, fat, and cholesterol traditional cheese sauces contain. Vegan and dairy lovers alike will love this sauce!
To top it off crispy, salty, smoky, mushroom bacon! This bacon recipe uses simple ingredients, is all natural, and low fat but it’s reminiscent of the oh so yummy but unhealthy bacon bits usually added to loaded potatoes.
Let's get started!
Vegan Loaded Baked Potato
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 large crowns fresh broccoli (cleaned and cut in bite-sized florets)
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (cleaned and diced)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- To prepare potatoes, scrub potatoes, poke a few holes with a fork, and place on a large plate. Microwave for 5 minutes. Rotate and flip potatoes and microwave for an additional 5 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced all the way through with a knife. Set aside.
- To prepare roasted broccoli, preheat oven to 400 °F, cut florets into bite-sized pieces, coat broccoli with 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until browned. Set aside.
- To prepare mushroom bacon, preheat oven to 400 °F, combine soy sauce, liquid smoke and diced mushrooms. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are brown and crispy. Set aside. (To save time bake the mushrooms and broccoli at the same time!)
- To prepare the cheese sauce, combine milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, salt, and garlic in a small saucepan and whisk until smooth. Heat over low heat for 5-8 minutes stirring often until thickened.
- To assemble, slice baked potato down the middle, load with roasted broccoli, pour cheese sauce, and sprinkle with mushroom bacon. Enjoy warm!
This recipe comes together in a snap! I seriously can't wait for you to try this one out! Serve it as the perfect healthy lunch or a quick week night dinner at home! So easy and delicious you'll want to make this one all the time! Try it out and let me know what you think by commenting below <3
With Health and Happiness,