Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week, I'm going to continue my quick and easy dinner series with a super simple and quick taco recipe! We are still getting back into the school routine and have needed quick meal ideas for my family during the ultra busy week nights. Can you relate? You're in the right place!
This recipe is absolutely delicious and so quick (under 20 minutes!). You get all the delicious traditional taco flavor of those ever so popular taco seasoning packets at the grocers but without all the extra salt and additives they through in. A bonus, you most likely have all the seasonings already in your pantry! So, after trying this recipe you'll never want to buy those questionable taco packets again.
With this recipe, I combined beans and mushrooms to give the tacos not only nutritional variety but a taste variety too. I used pinto beans, but black beans or black eyed peas would be great substitutes too! Eating beans regularly may help decrease the risk of diabetes, heart disease, colorectal cancer, and helps with weight management. (Pro tip - if your kiddos shy away from beans, mash them before serving. They will never know!)
For the add-ons the possibilities are endless! Like many of my other recipes, feel free to add in and substitute what you and your family love best. I have substituted lettuce for cabbage to add even more of a nutritional punch. Avocado would be AH-MAZING as well! Mix it up, this is a great starting point to your creativity. Let’s get started!
Quick and Easy TACOS!
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and finely diced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 15 ounce can no salt added pinto beans (rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 4-8 taco shells
- Heat a large skillet with oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and liquid smoke. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- Stir in rinsed beans and heat until thoroughly warmed.
- To mushrooms and beans add cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, sea salt, and 1/4 cup water. Stir to combine.
- Layer taco shells with bean and mushroom mixture then shredded cabbage and top with diced tomatoes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t limit tacos to just Tuesday, they can be for Mushroom Monday too! ;) Comment below and let me know what you and your family thinks of these all plant based tacos! <3
With Health and Happiness,