Crispy Brussels Sprouts
Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week’s “bacon” recipe is paired with my all time favorite vegetable--brussels sprouts! Now, I know brussels sprouts get a really bad reputation for being ‘gross’ and are sometimes referred to as ‘the worse veggie ever’...but this will all change after you eat them prepared crispy! Today’s recipe will show you how to cook and LOVE brussels sprouts, trust me!
Like I said, brussels sprouts get a bad name but I believe it’s only because they haven’t been cooked right. These little guys are absolutely delicious roasted in the oven! They have a crispy texture and delicious peppery bite. Plus, brussels sprouts pair extremely well with the smoky and salty mushroom bacon, which is another great way to sneak mushrooms into your diet.
A tip for making mushroom bacon, is make A LOT then refrigerate leftovers. I like to double the batch and use half and have some in the fridge for adding to salads and sandwiches throughout the week. I have paired this dish with simple brown rice but it would also be delicious over steamed quinoa or whole wheat pasta depending on what you have on hand or what your family loves best. Let’s get started!
Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lb. fresh not frozen brussels sprouts (cut in quarters longways)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (cleaned and diced)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 4 servings of rice, pasta, or quinoa
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- To prepare the brussels sprouts, in a large bowl combine brussels sprouts, oil, and balsamic vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Spread coated brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and add diced onions. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until brussels sprouts are brown and crispy. Set aside.
- To prepare mushroom bacon, combine soy sauce, liquid smoke and diced mushrooms. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are brown and crispy. Set aside. (To save time and energy, bake at the same time as the brussels sprouts!)
- Serve brussels sprouts of a bed of rice, pasta, or quinoa. Add mushroom bacon on top and enjoy!
This recipe is a quick and easy one that will be a great surprise favorite for all the picky eaters in your house! I can't wait for you to try this one out!, you and your family will love it! Try it out and let me know what you think by commenting below <3 Stay tuned for next week’s recipe where I will start a new series of easy back to school dinner ideas!
With Health and Happiness,