Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week’s recipe showcases a delicious blend of savory roasted vegetables with a sweet and tangy glaze. If you’re not a fan of broccoli or mushrooms, this recipe will change your mind! Roasting is so simple and easy but the process completely changes the flavor. The vegetables flavor is enhanced and deepened while adding a sweet and nuttiness.
My youngest son’s favorite veggie is broccoli, he could eat a mountain of it prepared literally any way. He’s not picky when it comes to his broccoli. My oldest son on the other hand wasn’t a huge fan of broccoli. He would rather eat most anything else over broccoli. When I prepared roasted broccoli for the first time, my youngest of course loved it but to my surprise my oldest loved it too! He actually wants to eat broccoli now (only roasted of course!) When you roast broccoli it brings out the best flavors and adds a sweet, nuttiness that is unlike any other preparation. So, if you’re someone who hasn’t liked broccoli in the past--roast it! You’ll love the delicious and complex flavor roasting brings out in this health food.
The balsamic vinegar glaze in this recipe is a sweet, tangy delicious complement to the nutty wild rice and roasted veggies. Balsamic vinegar is not only a great compliment but it’s also nutritious! Balsamic vinegar contains polyphenols and antioxidants that fight against cell damage and improve the body's immune system.
Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, chromium, and folate. It is also a very good source of dietary fiber, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, vitamin E, manganese, phosphorus, choline, vitamin B. With all the nutrients broccoli has to offer, you’ll love a new way to add this healthy food into your diet.
Let’s get started!
Roasted Vegetables and Wild Rice with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup wild rice blend (uncooked)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 3 large broccoli floret heads
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cut bite sized broccoli florets off broccoli head. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sliced mushrooms and broccoli florets with olive oil. Coat oil evenly over vegetables.
- Spread coated vegetables on a large baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, flipping vegetables then roasting for 15 more minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, combine balsamic vinegar, raw sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a saucepan. Heat on medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until starts to thicken.
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, roasted vegetables, and balsamic vinegar glaze. Toss to combine. Serve warm.
Try this delicious and healthy rice dish out and let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you <3
With Health and Happiness,