Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week's recipe is my take on the classic “French Onion Soup”. With simple swaps I have lightened the calories, lowered the sodium content, made it completely vegan, and boosted the nutrition content.
Onions are a staple in my household, it seems like they are in most of my recipes. Because onions are used so often, we often don’t think of them as a health food. Not only do onions add a distinct flavor to a dish, they are also extremely healthy! And, as an added bonus they are always readily available and a cheap (and healthy) staple.
Benefits of eating onions:
- The phytochemicals in onions along with their vitamin C help improve immunity.
- Onions contain chromium, which assists in regulating blood sugar.
- Onions help to reduce inflammation and heal infections.
- Raw onion lowers the production of bad cholesterol (LDL) keeping your heart healthy.
- Quercetin in onions is known to play a significant role in preventing cancer.
- Onions absorb free radicals.
- The green tops on onions are rich in Vitamin A
Portobello mushrooms add to the nutrition content and flavor of this classic dish. Traditional “French Onion Soup” is made with beef stock. This gives it a meaty and rich flavor. Of course, I didn’t use beef stock for this recipe but substituted vegetable stock instead. The portobello mushrooms add a meatiness to the dish giving it a rich flavor. Plus, mushrooms give this dish a good dose of vitamin D and fiber without adding fat and calories.
I just loved this soup recipe, it's definitely going to be added to our soup rotation! I can't wait for you to try it, let’s get started!
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 3 sweet onions (peeled, cut in half, and thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoon vegan margarine
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms (cleaned and sliced thin)
- 2 gloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 bay leaves (whole)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- optional vegan mozzarella shreds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large stockpot over low. Add sliced onions and margarine. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms to onions. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- To cooked mushrooms and onions add in garlic, bay leaves, thyme, broth, soy sauce, and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes covered.
- After 20 minutes remove bay leaves and discard.
- Serve warm with salt and pepper to taste and optional cheese shreds.
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did! Comment below and let me know what you think <3
With Health and Happiness,