Mushroom Bacon Grilled Cheese
Happy Mushroom Monday!
When you think of grilled cheese, what comes to mind? Childhood memories of dunking the delicious sandwich in tomato soup on a cold day? While this sandwich will bring back some nostalgia, you'll love this updated and more sophisticated grilled cheese recipe!
One of the hardest things to stop eating when I became plant based (no meat, no eggs, no dairy) was cheese! I was a major cheese lover! And, what made it worse was most meals I made or ordered out included cheese. Some dishes are just fine (if not better!) without cheese. But, some recipes just need some cheese! Obviously the key ingredient to the delicious grilled cheese childhood favorite is cheese. That doesn't mean I have to stick with traditional dairy cheese!
This cheese recipe is a perfect substitute for dairy cheese--it's flavorful, it's ooey and gooey, it's delicious, and it's healthy. What more can you ask for?! (PS--this would also be a hit a great cheese to serve with homemade tortilla chips as a delicious queso!)
You all know one of my favorite things is mushroom bacon--I put it on whatever I can! Mushroom bacon?! Yes! Simple and healthy mushrooms seasoned and baked taste like bacon. The mushroom slices are heavily seasoned with pepper, a little salty with the soy sauce, and a touch of smokey flavor with the liquid smoke.
Mushroom bacon paired with ooey gooey cheese is a match made in heaven and I can't wait for you to try it too!
Let's get started!
Mushroom Bacon Grilled Cheese
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (unsalted)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon vegan margarine
- 8 slices whole wheat bread slices
- For the cheese, combine in a high speed blender the tapioca flour, cashews, milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Blend on high for 3-5 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Transfer cheese to a small saucepan. Heat on low for 5-8 minutes or until thickens. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- In a large bowl combine mushrooms, soy sauce, liquid smoke, and pepper.
- Spread seasoned mushrooms on a large baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, melt vegan margarine over medium high heat. Place bread slices in hot skillet and toast about 3 minutes each side or until golden brown. Set aside.
- Assemble the grilled cheese sandwiches by layering cheese and mushroom bacon on the toasted bread slices. Cut and enjoy warm!
This sandwich is so delicious that you'll never want to eat old fashion grilled cheese again. Seriously. I made these for my family and they devoured them and asked for seconds! Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments <3
With Health and Happiness,