Vegan BBQ Sliders
Happy Mushroom Monday!
I LOVE Summer! Summer means getting outside in the sun, swimming, and sleeping in (as much as mom sleeps in anyway--ha!). But, Summer also means cook outs with family and friends! Last week’s hotdog recipe really got me excited for Summer cookout food so I wanted to share with you a delicious vegan BBQ recipe to add to your cookout options in the upcoming months!
Living in BBQ country (aka Texas) I know BBQ is a staple especially in the upcoming Summer months. If you’re trying to eat healthier by not including meat in your diet, you won’t have to miss out on this delicious tradition! My “Vegan BBQ Sliders” replace high cholesterol, high fat, high calorie meat for low calorie nutrient dense mushrooms. Replacing the meat with mushrooms will not only save you calories but also give more depth of flavor to your meal.
Now that you have a healthier option to replace the meat, try swapping out the traditional store bought BBQ sauce with this BBQ sauce recipe. It’s incredibly easy to make and so much more healthy! Store bought BBQ sauce has a lot of sugar. 1 Tablespoon of BBQ sauce typically contains 13 grams of sugar--THAT IS A TON OF SUGAR! If you think about it, how much sauce are you putting on your sandwich? My guess is it’s a lot more than 1 Tablespoon! My recipe has less sugar, no preservatives, and no artificial ingredients. And just store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe is super delicious and easy so let’s get started!
Vegan BBQ Sliders
- 1 large onion (cut in half and thinly sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and sliced thin)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 6 whole wheat slider buns
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add oil and onions. Sauté for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove and set aside cooked onions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, and liquid smoke. Sauté for 10-12 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- To cooked mushrooms add 1/4-1/2 cup BBQ sauce from recipe below. Stir until incorporated.
- Serve mushrooms with BBQ sauce topped with sautéed onions on the slider buns.
BBQ Sauce Instructions:
- In a medium saucepan, combine all BBQ sauce ingredients.
- Heat on low until warmed.
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe, you and your family will devour these delicious sliders! Try them out at your next get together and let me know what you think by commenting below <3
With Health and Happiness,