Happy Mushroom Monday!
Today's recipe is for "Vegan Mushroom Hot Dogs"! A homemade vegan hot dog?! YES! And these are even more delicious than traditional hot dogs with a list of healthy and natural ingredients. I can't wait for you to try these out!
I usually try to keep my recipes quick and easy. While this recipe isn’t too hard, it does take a little longer than most of my recipes. But, I promise you will love the results--these hot dogs are delicious! To save time, this recipe can easily be doubled to freeze half for future meals.
Now, we all know how un-healthy and truly un-appetizing traditional hot dogs are. They are filled with many questionable ingredients that are not only un-healthy but can be actually dangerous! Traditional store bought hot dogs have MSGs, nitrates, corn syrup, and other fillers. One of the most dangerous is sodium nitrite which is a synthetic preservative. The problem is, in the presence of heat—especially high heat—nitrites can combine with amines in processed meat to form nitrosamines, and it's these that are carcinogenic. Nitrosamines inflict cellular damage and have been linked to cancer.
So, although these hot dogs may take a little longer to make than opening a store bought package, these hot dogs are so much more healthy--your body will thank you! This healthy hot dog recipe gives you a safer and more delicious option for your next cookout!
Let’s get started!
Vegan Mushroom Hot Dogs
Makes 6-8 Hot Dogs
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 3/4 c baby bella mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon dried ground mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup ground cornmeal
- 2 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6-8 Foil sheets (each about 11x14 inches)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, mushroom, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes or until onions and mushrooms become soft.
- Transfer sauteed mushrooms, onions, and garlic to a food processor. Add in all of the remaining ingredients (aside from the foil). Pulse until ingredients are completely combined and forms a dough.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 equal pieces. Roll the dough to make a hot dog shape.
- Place the hot dog shaped dough on the edge of one of the foil sheets. Tightly roll the dough in the foil sheets, making sure to keep the hot dog shape. After completely rolled, twist ends tightly. Set aside. Do this step with all the hot dogs.
- Heat a steamer basket on medium high heat. Place all the rolled and twisted hot dogs into the steamer basket. Cover steamer and steam for 45 minutes.
- Once the hot dogs are steamed, remove them from basket. Let them cool enough to remove the foil wrapping.
- You can now grill, heat on a skillet, or warm the hot dogs to eat as desired.
I can't wait for you to try these at your next cookout! When you do, comment below and let me know! <3
With Health and Happiness,