Happy Mushroom Monday!
There is nothing like a big plate of carbs! Whole grain of course and my favorites are brown rice, wild rice, whole wheat pasta and quinoa.. While whole grains are a great source of fiber, protein, and many other nutrients, you know what would be even better than whole grains as a side dish? A vegetable that looks, feels, and tastes like a grain! Impossible? NOPE. Today, I'm sharing a rice recipe that will fool in the most devote carb lovers yet is as healthy as a veggie!
I know you've heard of (and hopefully tried!) cauliflower mash which is an amazing substitute for traditional mashed potatoes. Well, this recipe is cauliflower rice which is an absolutely delicious alternative to rice. I’ve paired it with simple roasted veggies for this recipe, but there are so many ways to use this cauliflower recipe! Substitute the cauliflower rice in sushi rolls, Asian rice dishes, Mexican rice dishes or anywhere you’d normally use rice.
Cauliflower has amazing nutritional value and totally underrated in the health world! One serving of cauliflower is 77% of your DV of vitamin C. Cauliflower is also a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese. So much nutrition in one vegetable!
So, at the end of this recipe you are eating three completely delicious yet healthy vegetables! You’ll feel so good after you have this recipe and you’ll be completely satisfied--you won’t miss the rice at all! Let’s get started!
Roasted Veggies and Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower (washed and cut into large chunks)
- 16 ounces asparagus (fresh or frozen)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- ¼ black pepper
- 1 lemon juiced (optional)
- In a food processor pulse cauliflower pieces with quick 1-second pulses until it breaks down to rice or couscous size pieces.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil, pulsed cauliflower, and minced garlic. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until it starts to slightly brown. Keep warm and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- While cauliflower rice is cooking, coat asparagus and whole mushrooms in 1 Tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Roast asparagus and mushrooms on a baking sheet for 10 minutes. Flip vegetables over and roast for another 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- To serve, plate cauliflower rice with roasted vegetables and squeeze a small amount of lemon juice over the dish. Serve warm.
I can't wait for you to try this recipe! When you do, comment below and let me know what you think <3
With Health and Happiness,