Happy Mushroom Monday!
I'm lucky enough to have children that love trying new things and love eating their veggies (usually!). This wasn’t always the case, but with gradually introducing them to new foods (especially new veggies) has made them veggies lovers! But, I know this isn't the case for a lot of families. We know how healthy it is for our children to eat fruits and vegetables but it's not always easy if they are picky-eaters. There are two things I have found that most every child loves--noodles and cheese.
I've masked the healthy veggie goodness with lots of cheese (healthy and vegan of course!) and healthy whole wheat pasta. This "Veggie Lasagna" recipe is a total crowd pleaser! Trust me, one bite of this lasagna your kiddos will be begging for more!
Why is this recipe is so healthy for you and your family?
- The zucchini used in this recipe takes on the flavor of the spaghetti sauce and camouflages into the lasagna perfectly! Zucchini is an amazing source of vitamin C, A, B1, B6, B2, manganese, magnesium, folate, potassium, copper, phosphorus, calcium, and folate. AND as a bonus it is high in dietary fiber, low in sugar, and low in calories.
- The vegan cheese in this recipe is made with almonds. Almonds are high in vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. They are extremely low in saturated fat and have no cholesterol. This is a much healthier cheese option which means you can load it on! :)
- Last but not least my favorite the mushroom! One of my favorite things about mushrooms is how easy the blend with the flavors in a dish. Just like the zucchini, mushrooms take on the spaghetti sauce flavor! Mushrooms are a great addition in this recipe because they have high nutritional contents and are especially low in calorie, high in vitamin D, and have no cholesterol.
I LOVE combining healthy into delicious! That's the best way to get your whole family to eat healthier long term.
Let's get started!
Veggie Lasagna with Vegan Cheese
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (thinly and evenly sliced--I used a mandolin)
- 2 large zucchini (thinly and evenly sliced--I used a mandolin)
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce (all natural and organic)
- 12 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles (oven ready or traditional)
- ½ cup unsalted almonds
- 2 cups water
- 4 Tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 garlic clove
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a high speed blender combine almonds, water, tapioca starch (cornstarch may be substituted but tapioca is preferred), nutritional yeast, lemon juice, sea salt, and garlic. Blend for 4-8 minutes or until completely smooth. Set aside.
- In a large oven safe 9.5" x 13" pan layer uncooked noodles (*I use traditional noodles without boiling in my lasagna recipe because oven-ready whole wheat noodles are hard to find. The dish comes out great and saves the boiling step!)
- After the noodles, layer zucchini slices, then mushroom slices, followed by a layer of spaghetti sauce, and then cheese sauce.
- Alternate layers until all ingredients are used. Pouring any extra sauce and cheese over the top of the lasagna.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Let baked lasagna set at room temperature for 15 minutes before cutting servings.
I can't wait to hear what your family thinks of this recipe! Share below in the comments, I'd love to hear from you <3
With Health and Happiness,