Vegan French Dip Recipe
Happy Mushroom Monday!
I’m not sure about you, but I love easy to prepare and delicious recipes! To continue my ‘quick and easy recipe’ series, I want to share with you a delicious Vegan French Dip recipe that is too good to be true! Typical french dip recipes contain loads of fat laden meat dipped into fat heavy au jus sauce. This recipe is a new spin on an old classic! I use slowly cooked mushrooms and onions for a savory sandwich base with a lighter and much healthier au jus dipping sauce.
The beauty of this recipe is it only contains only a few ingredients but the flavors blend beautifully to create a savory and comforting take on an old classic! PLUS, this recipe comes together in a snap! Even if you aren’t a whiz in the kitchen, you’ll be able to make this recipe--it’s that simple!
The trick to the deep, savory flavor in this dish is being patient and letting the onions and mushrooms caramelize. When onions are cooked on a low heat for a longer time, the sugars start to caramelize and sweeten. This is the key and really the only skill you need to have--patience! Unfortunately patience is not my strongest quality and when caramelizing onions in the past, I may have turned the heat up too high and burned them rather than sweetened them...that is not delicious, don’t do that. So trust me, you’ll be so happy you waited!
Let’s get started!
Vegan French Dip Recipe
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 1 large yellow onion (cut in half and sliced thinly)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon vegan margarine
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ Tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 whole wheat hoagie buns
- Heat a large skillet over low heat. Add oil, mushrooms, and onions.
- Sauté for 20-30 minutes over low heat or until onions are translucent and start to caramelize making sure to stir often. Set aside.
- To make the au jus dipping sauce, heat a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- To the saucepan add broth, margarine, smoke, and soy sauce. Whisk together and heat thoroughly.
- Serve caramelized mushrooms and onions in a whole wheat hoagie bun with a side of the au jus sauce.
I can't wait to hear what you think of this delicious sandwich recipe! I'd to hear from you, comment below! <3
With Health and Happiness,