Chik'n Fried Steak
Happy Mushroom Monday!
Now that the weather is keeping us inside and cozy, why not spend a Sunday afternoon making a delicious and comforting dinner the whole family will love? This “Chik'n Fried Steak” is so delicious you’ll hardly believe it’s meat-free and completely plant based. It does take a little time to put this one together, but it’s worth every second!
Someone recently asked me if I miss anything since becoming vegetarian. My first response was, “No way! I’ve found a substitute for just about everything!”. But, when I started thinking about it, there was one thing that I haven’t had since becoming meat-free; chicken fried steak! The crunchy steak with the flavorful and peppery white gravy with mashed potatoes...oh my YUM!
I knew I needed to re-create this into a healthy and plant based recipe! To make this healthier, I used whole wheat flour and crackers for the crunch and a mix of vital wheat gluten and mushrooms for the meat. I only used a little oil for pan frying vs a deep fry. There is still great flavor and crunch but without the unnecessary fat! Serve this with your favorite mashed potatoes and white gravy recipe to make this a healthy and delicious comfort meal!
I can’t wait for you to try this, let’s get started!
Chik'n Fried Steak
- 1 1/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms (finely chopped in food processor)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cup water + 1 cup vegetable broth + 1/4 cup soy sauce (for simmering liquid)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat crackers (crushed)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk, or non-dairy milk (cashew milk works great because it's thick)
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine vital wheat gluten, mushrooms, 1 cup broth, liquid smoke, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Knead in bowl for 5 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large stock pot bring to a simmer 3 cups water, 1 cup vegetable broth, 1/4 cup soy sauce. While liquid is simmering, make 6 equal pieces of the steak mixture. Flatten each serving to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick pieces. Carefully place into simmering liquid and continue to simmer for 30 minutes. Remove steaks from liquid and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a shallow pan combine flour, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper and set aside. In another shallow pan add milk. In another separate shallow pan add crushed crackers. You should have 3 separate pans for dipping the steaks.
- After the steaks have rested, first dip the steak both sides in flour mixture then dip into milk, then dip into the crushed crackers. Making sure to coat the steak completely during each step. Set aside on a dry plate and continue until all steaks are coated.
- In a large skillet add the oil and heat over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add in the steaks and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until crispy on both sides.
- Serve immediately with mashed potatoes and white gravy!
This is one of those must try meals that you’re family will go crazy for! My boys couldn’t stop raving about this and I know yours will too! Let me know after you try this healthy “Chik'n Fried Steak” recipe by commenting below <3
With Health and Happiness,