Raw Vegan Bacon Recipe
Last week I co-hosted my 3rd Women Wine Down event. This was an all day event to promote health, wellness, and relaxation. For the event, I prepared a delicious vegan lunch. What did I serve? A BLT! Well, the vegan version. Which I may say is WAY better than the traditional BLTs you may be used to because it's healthy AND delicious! You've never heard bacon be described like that before have you?! :)
The BLT I made used raw vegan mushroom bacon (see the recipe below!), sun dried tomatoes, spinach, and hummus on gluten free bread. The sandwich was a hit so today I wanted to share my secret ingredient--raw mushroom bacon! I've made mushroom bacon recipes in the past (which are equally delicious!) but because this recipe uses a dehydrator it makes a perfectly evenly crunchy 'bacon'. Combine the crunchiness with the smoky and salty taste you have the most delicious yet healthiest bacon EVER.
There are 3 reasons I LOVE this recipe:
- Easy! With only a few ingredients, you can have a go to snack, healthy side, or yummy topping anytime you want!
- Delicious! I can't stop eating this stuff. It's so good! I find I'm putting 'bacon' on just about everything I can think of.
- Healthy! Using a dehydrator to cook the mushrooms at a low temperature keeps the nutritional content intact. That means your healthy vitamins don't get cooked out. Though I love cooked food, it's nice to add in some raw foods to balance out your diet.
PS--if you're like me a small batch of these won't be enough, this recipe doubles (or triples!) easy! So make as much as you'd like, it stores wonderfully.
Let's get started!
(Top this your favorite dishes with this healthy and delicious bacon recipe)
Raw Vegan Bacon
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- ¼ cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ black pepper (optional)
- In a shallow bowl mix together soy sauce, liquid smoke, and black pepper (optional).
- Lightly coat both sides of the sliced mushrooms with the soy sauce mixture.
- Place coated mushrooms on a dehydrator tray.
- Set the dehydrator to 115 °F and cook for 2-4 hours or until crispy and no moisture is left (this is important for proper shelf stable storage).
**Properly dehydrated mushrooms can be kept at room temperature in a sealed container for up to a year!
I CAN. NOT. WAIT. for you to try this recipe! I think this is one of those ridiculously easy yet delicious and satisfying recipes you'll have on your weekly meal rotation. Comment below and let me know what you think. <3
With Health and Happiness,