Simple Macro Bowl Recipe
Happy Mushroom Monday!
Today's recipe is a super simple yet amazingly delicious macro bowl recipe! A macro bowl (short for macrobiotic) is basically a perfectly balanced meal. Macro bowls contain a healthy grain, vegetable, and a protein. They are usually prepared simply, in fact many of the principles of the macro bowl have been taken from Traditional Chinese Medicine and Japanese tradition. These traditional ways of taking care of the body involve balance and simplicity.
The basics of a macro bowl is simple and can be adjusted to your taste and what is in season. I love the flavor combination of this recipe, but I know I'll change it up in the Spring when different foods are available locally.
Why do I love about macro bowls?
They are easy. This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes!
They are versatile. Add in the veggies, grains, and protein that you have on hand or is in season. This would make a delicious lunch option too!
They are nutritious. I love recipes that come together quickly and is nutritionally balanced. To get the most from your bowl, vary your ingredients to include seasonal produce.
This macro bowl has a deliciously healthy balance of protein (mushrooms!), grain (wild rice blend!), greens (spinach!), and vegetable (sweet potato!). Great substitutions would be broccoli, beans, tofu, kale, collards, quinoa, or brown rice. Mix it up and have fun!
Let's get started!
Simple Macro Bowl Recipe
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and diced)
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 cups wild rice blend (cooked)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ Tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add ½ Tablespoon olive oil, sweet potato, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until they are fork tender. Set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ½ Tablespoon olive oil, onion, mushroom, ¼ teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes or until onions and mushrooms become slightly brown. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add ½ Tablespoon olive oil, spinach, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until spinach wilts. Set aside.
- After cooked, assemble the macro bowl by layering rice, sweet potato, mushroom mixture, and spinach. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar (optional) and serve warm.
I hope you enjoy this quick and healthy macro bowl recipe! This comes together so easily. Double the recipe and enjoy a beautiful and delicious lunch!
With Health and Happiness,