Happy Mushroom Monday!
The new year has started and I know a lot of you have a goal of getting healthier this year--that's awesome! If you are wondering where to start and what to cook that's easy and quick, this dish is for you! I think this is probably one of the easiest recipes I have shared. My take on the traditional "Pasta Pomodoro" uses simple and fresh ingredients which make it a light and healthy dinner--perfect for your healthy living goals!
Why is this a healthy pasta dish?
- Whole wheat pasta gives a ton of fiber which is great for our digestion.
- The mushrooms add protein and keep you feeling satisfied.
- The red peppers carry a healthy amount of vitamin C.
- Garlic and basil are excellent antioxidants.
- The oil gives our metabolisms a boost.
My secret to making this dish so quick? Using pre-made roasted red peppers. I have made my own roasted peppers before and they really aren’t hard to make but you can’t get any easier than opening a can of the pre-made variety! This is especially helpful when you’re making this pasta dish on a busy weeknight. I chose an organic variety that has only peppers, water, and sea salt and none of the un-healthy fillers or preservatives a lot of brands use. Feel free to make your own or choose a variety easily available at your local grocers.
The mix of flavors of the basil, roasted pepper, browned mushrooms, and basil make this a simple yet delicious dish. The whole family raved about this one! My tiniest taste testers approved and requested this one to be on the menu weekly! ;)
Let's get started!
The verdict is in...the boys loved it!
Pasta Pomodoro Recipe
- 16 ounces 100% whole wheat pasta (or gluten free alternative)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (reserve ½ Tablespoon for cooking mushrooms)
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh basil (chopped or thinly sliced)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat the ½ Tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and cook over medium high heat for 10-12 minutes or until mushrooms brown.
- Drain cooked pasta and bring back to large pot. To the pasta, add in browned mushrooms, chopped peppers, garlic, sea salt, remaining oil, and fresh basil.
- Toss to incorporate. Can be served warm or cold.
This recipe comes together in no time, I hope you and your family enjoy it! Give it a try this week and let me know what you think by commenting below <3
With Health and Happiness,