Creamy Tomato Pasta with Sauteed Peppery Mushrooms Recipe
Starting this week, there will be themed days to my blog posts so you all can have an idea of what exciting things to expect! Because of my (and my family's!) love of mushrooms I've devoted a whole day to mushrooms. So I want to say an official Happy Mushroom Monday! :)
Are you a pasta lover? Me too! With this recipe, there's no need to feel guilty. The tahini in this recipe packs it with protein, vitamin E and B vitamins, calcium, and the liver detoxifier Methionine. Add in the glorious and nutrient rich mushrooms which give high amounts of fiber B and D vitamins and are low in calorie.
Not only is this recipe healthy, it's delicious! Because who really wants to eat healthy if it doesn't taste great?! Not me! The tahini gives this dressing a rich creamy flavor while adding healthy fats. The mushrooms are sautéed with a generous amount of pepper to give it just the right kick. This week for National Mushroom Month, I chose white button mushrooms because their mild flavor really accentuates the sauce. Because of their popularity, these are one of the easiest mushrooms to find. Remember if you are local to the San Antonio/Central Texas area, be sure to pick up mushrooms from Kitchen Pride Mushroom Farms--always fresh and packed with nutrition! If you aren't local to the area, be sure to pick up mushrooms local to your region--they will be fresher, tastier, more nutrient dense, and you'll be supporting the local economy! Win Win!
My littlest sous chef Jack helping to de-stem the mushrooms for me. I think he had way too much fun doing this! <3 I love having the boys help in the kitchen, it gets them excited about real, healthy food.
Creamy Tomato Pasta with Sautéed Peppery Mushrooms
Creamy Tomato Pasta Ingredients:
- 16 ounces gluten free pasta (penne)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ lemon (juiced)
- 1 ¼ cup tomato sauce (no salt if possible)
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon dried chives (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasts is cooking, in a medium size bowl whisk together almond milk, tahini, salt, garlic powder, lemon juice, tomato sauce and garlic cloves. Whisk until combined.
- Pour sauce over pasta and gently fold to incorporate. Set aside on warm cooktop to heat thoroughly.
- Dish out and sprinkle with dried chives (optional) and top with peppery mushrooms.
Peppery Mushrooms Ingredients:
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (de-stemmed and sliced to ¼ inch thick slices)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (any all natural variety)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl combine soy sauce, liquid smoke, and olive oil.
- Add mushrooms to liquid and combine so all mushrooms are coated.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Add black pepper and stir.
- Top pasta with peppery mushrooms.
Voila! You guys, this recipe is seriously amazing! This one will be a family favorite for sure. If you try the recipe out and love it, comment below I'd love to hear from you <3 And, be sure to check back next week for a new recipe!
With Health and Happiness,