Happy Mushroom Monday!
Last week, I talked about easy ways to get your kids to eat mushrooms. I wanted to continue the healthy kid favorites with this pizza! What kid doesn't like pizza?! This recipe is a new family favorite around here and I can rest easy knowing that it's super healthy for everyone to enjoy.
I'm not sure about you, but I LOVE pizza! There are so many possibilities, I could really eat it everyday and not get bored. Usually pizza is filled with lots of cheese, un-healthy meats, and fluffy white flour crust. This combination is not healthy at all--this is why pizza gets a bad rap as a junk food lovers dream. I want to show you a recipe that is not only really healthy but also equally delicious.
This pizza recipe is like a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich mixed with a pizza, intrigued?! You should be. Full of cheesy goodness (vegan cheesy goodness of course!), caramelized onions and peppers with delicious mushrooms, your family will LOVE this recipe! Bonus, it comes together quickly so it's a great weekday pizza option for busy nights.
One of my favorite things to do is make un-healthy meals healthy. This one is a perfect example! Show your kids and your whole family you can still enjoy your favorites like pizza while living healthier. A few swaps here and there make this dish much more heart and waistline friendly. Such as low calorie homemade vegan cheese for traditional full-fat dairy cheese, vitamin rich mushrooms for cholesterol heavy beef, and whole wheat pizza dough for high glycemic white dough.
I can't wait for you to try this one so let's get started!
Vegan Philly Cheesesteak Pizza Recipe
- Whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup plain almond milk (unflavored)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spread dough evenly on a non-stick pizza pan. Poking holes with a fork for air-pockets to escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Set aside.
- While pizza crust is baking, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- To hot skillet, add oil, onions, pepper, mushrooms, and salt. Cook stirring often for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together milk, yeast, flour, lemon juice, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder, Heat cheese over medium heat stirring often for 5 minutes or until thickens to desired consistency.
- When crust is baked, spoon finished cheese sauce on the crust as the pizza sauce base.
- Then add the cooked mushrooms, onions, and pepper.
- Drizzle more cheese sauce on the top of the veggies and crust.
- Cut into slices and serve warm.
Try my take on this healthy pizza and let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you, just comment below <3
With Health and Happiness,