Delicious Vegan Mushroom Turnover Recipe
Happy Mushroom Monday!
This month I have been sharing Holiday inspired recipes (you can see the rest of the month's here if you've missed it!) and this recipe is no different! There is always so much to do this time of year, so I wanted to create a recipe that is convenient, versatile, healthy, and delicious. I love that these turnovers can easily be an appetizer for your Holiday party, an amazing side for a buffet, or even the main course with a few more traditional sides. PLUS, these turn out beautifully made ahead and re-heated!
As you know, I LOVE mushrooms and they run the show in this recipe! These turnovers are full of healthy fiber from the whole wheat flour, high in Vitamin D from the mushrooms, and iron from the spinach. This recipe does contain fats in the dough, so the turnovers aren't a low fat recipe. But, the low calorie mushroom filling and the nutritious spinach provide a healthy balance to the fats added in the dough in this delicious recipe. In moderation, fat isn't the enemy and I use it all the time in my cooking! In my diet it's all about balance. When you have a healthy balance like this, you're eating a healthy mix of fats with nutrient dense ingredients but you don't feel deprived. Get rid of the low-fat mindset we've been programed with and start thinking with a balanced mindset to live healthier and happier!
Let's get started!
Vegan Mushroom Turnover Recipe
Makes 12 turnovers
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons vegan margarine
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¾ cup cold water
- In a food processor, combine flour, salt, baking powder, margarine, coconut oil, and water. Pulse until incorporated and forms a dough.
- On a non-stick surface (I use plastic wrap over my cutting board!) evenly divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Using a flat sided surface (I used a bowl) press the dough into 4-6 inch wide circles.
- Set aside for filling.
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms (cleaned and diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 cup (packed) fresh spinach (chopped)
- ¼ cup plain almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- In a large skillet add olive oil and onions. Cook over medium high heat for 5-8 minutes or until onions become translucent.
- Add diced mushrooms to cooked onions and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
- To cook mushrooms and onions add soy sauce, liquid smoke, garlic, spinach, and milk. Heat over medium high heat until spinach wilts and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Add 2 teaspoons of filling to one side of the flattened dough (see picture above for reference).
- Fold over dough and gently use a fork to crimp the edges. Poke a few holes in the top for the air to escape. Do this to all 12 dough pieces.
- Bake on a non-stick pan for 13-15 minutes or until tops are lightly golden.
- Serve warm.
Can't wait to hear what you think of these delicious turnovers! My boys couldn't get enough of them. Jack even said "Mom, you can make these again tomorrow!" HA! :) I love hearing from you, so comment below and let me know how your recipes turn out for your Holiday meals! <3
With Health and Happiness,