Happy Tasty Thursday!
Keeping with this month's Holiday cooking theme I couldn't resist sharing a dessert recipe I created. Because, what are the Holidays without cookies?! This recipe is a take on the traditional shortbread cookies. Instead of using unhealthy butter, loads of sugar, and eggs I've made it healthy and vegan! As a bonus, this cookie recipe is extremely easy even for the beginner baker.
I love using coconut oil to replace butter especially in dessert recipes! It's a healthy fat that adds a great nutritional aspect and touch of coconut flavor to the recipes. Combined with the almond extract, you will fall in LOVE with these--they literally melt in your mouth! YUM! I'm drooling just thinking about it...so let's get started!
Vegan Coconut Shortbread Cookies Recipe
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup powder sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce (no added sugar)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt, oil, applesauce, and almond extract. Pulse until incorporated and ingredients become a soft dough (scraping sides as needed).
- In a 9x9 square pan, press dough evenly with a spoon.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan then cut into 16 squares.
I hope you enjoy these cookies! I know they didn't last long in my house ;) Comment below and let me know what you think! <3
With Health and Happiness,