Happy Mushroom Monday!
Now that Summer is finally (finally!) here, I’ve been loving quick to make and fuss free meals. This “Vegan Breakfast Burrito” is exactly that! What I love about this recipe is not only how quickly it comes together, but that it can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner! With that flexibility you know it will be added to the weekly rotation. ;)
Traditional breakfast burritos have eggs, bacon or sausage, and cheese. This dish will be plant based (or vegan) without dairy or animal products at all. That makes this recipe healthier and lighter but you won’t miss the satisfying flavor!
To substitute the smoky bacon or sausage I used my all time favorite and versatile ingredient: mushrooms. When you add a little soy sauce and liquid smoke to mushrooms they take on a smoky meat-like flavor that compliments this dish perfectly.
Black beans give this recipe even more nutrition with high amounts of fiber and protein. Fiber helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood and decrease the risk of heart disease. As a bonus, the fiber and protein work together to help you feel fuller longer.
Bell peppers contain several phytochemicals and carotenoids which are powerful antioxidants and contain anti-inflammatory benefits. A little known fact, one medium green bell pepper contains 159% DV of vitamin C! That’s more than an orange!
All these delicious veggies paired together make a fresh and delicious recipe that will be perfect breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Let’s get started!
Vegan Breakfast Burrito
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups red potato (cleaned with skin on, diced)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (rinsed)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups white button mushrooms (cleaned and diced)
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 4-6 whole wheat burrito size tortillas
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil and diced potato. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender and starting to brown.
- To the cooked potatoes, add green and red bell peppers. Cook for 3 minutes. Add potatoes and peppers to a large bowl and remove from heat.
- To potatoes and peppers, add black beans, salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir and set aside.
- To heated skillet, add diced mushrooms, soy sauce, and liquid smoke. Stir to combine and cook for 5-8 minutes or until mushrooms have absorbed all the liquid and are tender.
- Warm tortillas on a plate in the microwave for 10-20 seconds or in a tortilla warmer.
- To warmed tortilla, add a serving of each potato and pepper mixture, mushrooms, diced tomato, diced red onion, and optional cilantro.
- Fold tortilla ends in then fold over to close. Enjoy warm!
Our family just loved these and I know yours will too! Comment below and let me know what you think! <3
With Health and Happiness,