Happy Mushroom Monday!
This week's recipe is a breakfast favorite. It's so delicious and fun I can't wait to share it with you! I have a lot of people tell me they love mushrooms but their kids won't touch them. I made this recipe especially for those picky eaters, because I know they can't turn away french toast and bacon!
I totally get it! As a kid I didn't like mushrooms at all (gasp!). In fact, I picked out even the tiniest of mushrooms from my dinner plate. But all that has changed now, mushrooms are staple in my family and I's diet! Mushroom bacon was the first mushroom recipe I served to my boys. They LOVED them!
My suggestion to get your picky eater to receive all the health benefits of mushrooms is make them mushroom bacon! The crispy, salty flavor will fool even the pickiest of kids! Once they see that mushrooms aren't that bad, you can start adding them into their favorite dishes a little at a time. Next you can add them to pizza, spaghetti, mac and cheese, or quesadillas.
Pair the mushroom bacon with this vegan and healthy french toast recipe, you will have some happy diners at breakfast time! I use no eggs in this recipe but substitute chickpea flour. This gives the toasts a perfect coating just like the real deal but you don't have to worry about the saturated fat and high cholesterol of this dish!
Let's get started!
Vegan French Toast with Portobello Bacon
- 2 portobello mushrooms (cleaned and thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 100% Pure Maple syrup for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, oil, and liquid smoke.
- Quickly dip portobello slices in the liquid, just enough to coat each side.
- Lay the coated mushroom slices on a baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until crispy but not burned. Flipping once halfway through.
- For the french toast, whisk together milk, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, turmeric, ginger, almond extract, and sugar in a shallow pan.
- Heat large skillet with oil over medium high heat.
- Lightly dip each slice of bread in liquid mixture and grill on the skillet for 3 minutes each side or until crispy. Do this until all bread is coated and crispy.
- Serve warm with maple syrup and mushroom bacon.
I can't wait to hear what you think of this recipe! And if you have little ones at home, have them try this one out, it's definitely a crowd pleaser! <3
With Health and Happiness,