Tofu Scramble Recipe
Happy Mushroom Monday!
Tofu scramble? I know tofu scares a lot of people. It scared me before I knew how to use it! Tofu is the perfect base to vegetarian and vegan dishes because it takes on whatever flavor is put with it. **Tofu is a soy product, so make sure you are buying the organic and non-GMO variety.**
When I started eating more plant based foods, I was so scared to try tofu. Mostly because it looked really weird and squishy...HA! But now, I cook with it a few times a month and love it! The secret to a good meal with tofu is pressing it. By pressing the tofu beforehand, you get a much better texture. (I explain in the recipe instructions below exactly how to do this!)
Tofu isn't as intimating as it may sound and it can be SO delicious! This recipe I prepared it as a breakfast scramble that can be made for a breakfast or brunch and even breakfast for dinner (which I LOVE!). I love using tofu in our meals because it provides a great amount of iron, protein, and calcium. Plus it's low in calorie and naturally has no cholesterol.
To make this scramble hearty and filling, I added mushrooms which also bulks up the nutrition content. Mushrooms also make this dish more filling without adding a lot of calories or fat. The addition of roasted tomatoes in Italian seasoned oil seals the deal and makes this my favorite tofu scramble OF ALL TIME.
I can't wait for you to try it, let's get started!
Tofu Scramble Recipe
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 16 ounces firm tofu (pressed, see below)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ⅓-½ cup roasted tomatoes in Italian seasoned oil (chopped, reserve some of the oil)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions, and mushrooms.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms and onions start to brown.
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- To cooked onions and mushrooms, crumble in pressed tofu. To do this, break off small pieces of the tofu block until it's bite size (scramble size) pieces.
- To the onions, mushrooms, and crumbled tofu add in the tomatoes and seasonings. Stir until incorporated.
- Cook until thoroughly heated, about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm and drizzle with the reserved roasted tomato oil.
**How to press tofu**
- Place tofu in a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl.
- Place a bowl with a heavy weight (I use a can or heavy mug) on the tofu to press out any excess liquid.
- Press for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour.
With this scramble, your breakfast has never been so healthy and delicious! Getting into the healthy eating routine now is a great way to prepare for a healthier and happier New Year! Let me know what you think of this recipe by commenting below <3
With Health and Happiness,